June 1, 2009

Featured Etsy Seller - Knits and Bits

Here I am again for my next featured Etsy seller. This time it's Geri from Knits and Bits. For my first wedding anniversary, I bought a very special business card holder from her.  It was our paper anniversary, so I thought it suited the occasion.  And, it looks like wood on the top!


How appropriate for Mr. M! You know, he is a carpenter and all...

I also have the pleasure of creating a custom cross-stitch piece for Geri, which, once it's completed, I'll have to post here. I want to keep it a surprise until it's finished and in her hands. And, I may just expand upon the design and offer it as a customizable piece in my Etsy shop later on. But, we'll talk more about that later. For now, here's Geri's feature!

Tell a little about yourself.
I'm a wife, mom and grandma. I've been a crafter most of my life. My mom taught me to sew at an early age. At 9, I taught myself to knit. I've tried many crafts and have recently chosen a few that I really enjoy.

When did you open your Etsy shop?
I opened my shop in August 2008. I was very nervous about it.

What inspired the name of your shop?
My shop name came from my love of knitting and all the bits of other things I love to do.

Do you have any advice for fledgeling shop owners such as myself?
I'm way too new at this. No advice, other than just keep at it.

Do you have a blog?
I don't blog. I wish I could. I know so many people who do. I just haven't chosen to do that yet. I do like reading other people's blogs, though.

How do you deal with the ups and downs of retail in handmade sales?
The money I make almost always goes to supplies.  If things get slow, it just means I won't be buying supplies that week.

What is your favorite color, food, and person?
My favorite color is sage green.  My favorite food is chicken.  I also love chocolate.  My favorite person was my mom.

Do you have a favorite item in your shop?  What inspired you to create it?
I guess my favorite item in my shop are the animal pins.  I have a friend who wanted a Westie pin because she has 4 of them at home.  So that inspired me to make other animals.

How long after opening your Etsy shop did you have your first customer?
I opened my shop in August and sold my first item September 4.

Do you have a job separate from Etsy?
I don't work outside the home anymore.  I was an Instructional Assistant for 23 years.  Now, several times a year I head back to the school I used to work at and sell.  I'm fortunate to have many friends who still want to purchase from me.

What are your three favorite Etsy shops?
Mellibags - She has the best bags and purses.  So well made.
Wondrousstrange - Her Raku buttons are lovely.
Poppypatchwork - I love her purses.  They are just beautiful.
nslods - Because of the lovely cross-stitch. (Hey!  That's me!)

What is your favorite small pleasure?
My favorite small pleasure would be taking a walk in the early morning listening to the birds.

What are a few of the goals you have for your future and how do you plan on making them a reality?
I really don't have any business goals.  I feel fortunate to be doing what I'm doing.

What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given?
Live each day to the fullest.  Enjoy your family and friends.

Thanks a bunch, Geri, for taking time to answer my questions!  I know I had a lot of fun reading your answers.  I hope everybody else does, too.  

And, as I promised in my first feature, here is my most recent favorite item from Geri's Etsy shop.



It's a pill box!  How pretty can a pill box get?  Just ask Geri!  I'm always toting around ibuprofen and such, and this would be so much nicer to pull out of my purse than an ugly ibuprofen bottle.  Mr. M probably wouldn't appreciate it as much as me, though.  But, he's a guy.

Well, that's it for this week's featured Etsy artist.  Next Monday, I'll have another one for you. And while you're waiting, go visit Geri at Knits and Bits!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin