October 5, 2009

Something Roomy: DIY Jewelry Hanger Update

As promised, here's an update on my jewelry hanger. I had been holding out on buying a cork board for a while just because I'm cheap and didn't want to pay full price for a cork board with the nice espresso-colored frame. As luck would have it, my mom was getting rid of a corkboard at the yard sale I helped with. I waited until the end just to give other people a chance to buy it if they wanted it, but I wound up with it in the end. And my mom refused to let me pay for it. Soa free corkboard is the best deal, yet! Then, while Mr. M was still working on my parents' hardwood floors, my mom and I got to poke around the few shops (like 4) that were in town. I found the fabric at Walmart for a dollar, then got some grosgrain (is that how you spell it?) ribbon for a few cents, and a bottle of no-sew fabric glue. Total cost for the jewelry hanger? Less than five dollars! And it helps that I already had clear push-pins at home.

Here's a close-up of the board as it was drying.


I used the ribbon around the edges to cover up the raw edge of the fabric. The frame color is how it was when I got it from my Mom, and I think it works pretty nicely with the other colors in the fabric and ribbon.

Here it is as the finished product, with my pretties hanging from it. They're very happy in their new home! Or, would it be on their new home?


And here's the before and after of the sad little corner in my bedroom where the jewelry hanger now resides. I still think it's rather sad. Lol!

Before (sorry for the huge difference in picture size. My Mac doesn't like to resize photos properly in Blogger):


After:


Like I said, still a little sad. But, I'm very happy with it anyway. I enjoy seeing my necklaces every morning when I'm deciding how to accessorize. It makes life so much easier!

So what do you think? Have you finished any DIY projects lately that you'd like to share?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin