October 18, 2010

Westfield Style Tour with Stacy London!

Yesterday, I had an opportunity to participate in the Westfield Style Tour held at the Westfield Mall in Annapolis. It was an event that occurred all weekend, but yesterday was special because Stacy London, from TLC's What Not To Wear, made an appearance. I went to the event only knowing that she was going to be there and that there were also free beauty and style consultations. It sounded like fun to me, and it definitely was!

I had no idea what Stacy's appearance was going to involve, but I was pleasantly surprised when she had a small fashion show showcasing some of this season's trends, including animal prints, monochromatic looks, camel colored coats, nude shoes, and sparkle. After the fashion show, she offered an opportunity for us in the audience to ask her some questions. I must say, I was really impressed with her! She noticed absolutely everything, including various outfits, small details on some outfits, and even a Twitter pal of hers that she had never personally met before! She was extremely personable and very positive about women learning to love and accept their own bodies.

I apologize in advance for the crappy photos. I only had my phone with me, and she didn't stand still very often. I was totally crushing on her dress and her shoes, too! But, I was so very happy to ask her a question, myself!



Here are a few highlights from her Q&A session:

My question was regarding belts. Being petite with a long torso and short legs, I asked her what widths of belts should I avoid, if any. She recommended I wear them higher than my natural waist (as I normally do) and would not recommend me wear something thicker than 1 3/4", purely because if I go any larger, the belt might wear me.

Other questions I enjoyed hearing her answer:

What do you think of men in skinny jeans?  "I don't."
What do you think of Ugg boots? "Their name says it all. I have a pair of Ugg slippers that I only wear at home and never leave the house in. And if I have company over, they never leave my bedroom."
How much black is too much black? "You can never do too much black, but if you go for an all black ensemble, it is best to add some detailed element, whether it be ruffles or some sparkle. Anything to make the outfit visually interesting."
I have extremely broad shoulders from swimming for so many years. What would you recommend I wear to minimize my shoulders so I don't feel like a football player?  "Definitely go for V-neck shirts, which will draw the attention away from the upper part of your torso. Also, don't be afraid to layer a light cardigan or fitted jacket. They will create visual interest that will draw attention away from your shoulders."
I am very petite and have a very small frame. I have trouble finding clothes that fit my frame rather than swallow it up. Any suggestions? "I always recommend, for anybody, that fit is everything. If you need to, have your clothes tailored to better fit your proportions and frame. If your clothes fit nice, they will make you feel so much better. And you will feel more confident because YOU are wearing your clothes, rather than your clothes are wearing you."

I really enjoyed the Q&A session with Stacy London, and was really impressed with how long it lasted. Overall, I would guess that just her feature took about 1 1/2 to almost 2 hours.

Besides getting to see and talk to Stacy London, I participated in the free beauty and style consultations. I was very impressed with how the mall organized that whole portion of the event. They partitioned off one of what they call their atriums into two sections, one for beauty and one for style.

The beauty portion consisted of sitting down with a beauty consultant (various brands were represented) and talking about what kind of look you were interested in. Because I dragged Mr. M with me, and he was so incredibly patient, I asked for a date night look, just in case! My consultant did a really pretty plum look on my eyes and give me some colored gloss for my lips. Being somebody that doesn't wear much heavy makeup, let alone lip color, I was very impressed with my look. And, it inspired me to try more with my eyes on a regular basis.

The style part of the consultations involved talking with a professional stylist to find out what kinds of wardrobe concerns you may have and what kind of look you were interested in learning about. Then, the stylist went through a selection of clothing, all sold at the mall, to create the look by dressing up a mannequin, accessories and all. And, the stylist also took a Polaroid of each look for you to keep if you wanted to create the look on your own or shop for the pieces used in the consultation.

Overall, I had a great time at the event. I also enjoyed chatting with the ladies that I waited in line with. Oh, and I forgot to mention all the free goodies! I got several freebies from Aveda and The Body Shop. There were opportunities to enter sweepstakes to win shopping sprees and a trip to Fashion Week in 2011. And there was free food galore!

The only thing missing from the Westfield Style Tour was a husband's waiting lounge. I saw so many men waiting for their wives/girlfriends that I think it would be nice to treat those men that were willing to be so patient for their women, including Mr. M!

5 comments:

  1. sounds like a great afternoon for you Nicole! Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like sooo much fun!!! I've always loved watching her show, and to see her in person would be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really was amazing to see her in person! And she looks just as fabulous in person as she does on her show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...such good tips! She seems like a fun person-would love to see her speak sometime:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole.
    Thanks for sharing :) Stacy is going to be at the San Diego event too. It should be a great time!

    Hugs
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin