January 24, 2011

The Power of Water

It is a good thing I had to stop and get gas before I drove in to work this morning. I was just a few minutes behind my usual arrival time when I approached the US 50W/95S interchange. Signs on the highway mentioned an accident blocking all lanes of my route, so I proceeded to take an alternate route. While on my alternate route, my boss called to tell me to stay home today as there was no water in our building due to a water main break.

It turns out, it wasn't an accident on 95S that shut down the highway, it was the water main break. And, after looking at several photos captured by a local news station, I was in awe of the sheer power of water and happy that I had to stay home.



The power of the water literally peeled the hood of that truck away from the windshield! And I am sure it managed to flip that other car, too.


And the whole side panel of that flipped car was ripped off, along with who knows what else that is submerged in the water. I was pretty amazed by this and the fact that the water rushed across all lanes of 95S.


And if that does not convince you that water is one of the most powerful forces in nature, maybe the following picture will!



All images courtesy of WUSA9.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin