February 24, 2011

Grandma's Banana Bread

There are always one or two recipes that get handed down through family members over the years that stay incredible. One of my favorites that my mom learned from her mom was banana bread. Now, I have had my fair share of banana bread over the years, but none have ever come close to my grandmother's recipe. Whenever I make it, people exclaim over how moist it is and how wonderful it tastes. And that makes me proud because my grandmother was a good cook, my mom is a good cook, and if I make good banana bread, then I must be an okay cook.

I plan on making this recipe for a jewelry party I am having tomorrow night. I apologize for not having any pictures now, but I promise I will update this post with pictures once I get some tomorrow. I seriously can't wait to make it and I really hope it does not get eaten all up because I would love to have leftovers for myself! ** UPDATE ** So, I broke my promise and forgot to take photos. It just looked like any other banana bread anyway.

Grandma's Banana Bread

4 ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons milk
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour (whole wheat works as well as all-purpose)
1 teaspoon baking powder
  1. Mash bananas, set aside.
  2. Combine baking soda, milk, and vinegar in a small bowl or cup. Set aside. (Creates sour milk)
  3. In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
  4. In a larger bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, then mashed bananas and sour milk mixture. Slowly add flour mixture. 
  5. Pour batter into a greased and floured 8x8 pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  6. Eat it up!


3 comments:

  1. I too am having a jewelry party soon and was just starting to think about the menu. What a great idea!
    Thanks!
    Visiting from Mama Kat's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flutterbyechronicles9/26/11, 10:05 AM

    I love Banana Bread. Sounds like a really good recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love banana bread!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin