February 3, 2011

A Letter to My Future Teen

Dearest Future Teen Offspring,

This is that time in your life when things are changing within you and you start the path to discovering who you are. I am sure Mr. M and myself have enjoyed raising you through your baby, toddler, child, and pre-teen years, and have marveled at your sheer awesomeness through every stage of your life. We may have laughed a lot, I may have cried a lot, and Mr. M probably learned he doesn't have as much patience as he thought he did. But, we probably learned most about how our love for you can grow and grow each and every day.

There are times when you will think we are the best parents ever. Things like letting you explore your extracurricular interests in school, giving you help with your homework, allowing you to throw parties for your friends (non-alcoholic, of course!), teaching and showing you how God's love is awesome, and taking you on trips to places you never would have imagined probably top your list of requirements for having awesome parents.

Then, there will be the times when you think your parents have completely lost it like when Mr. M sings a random silly song and I do a random silly dance, we get excited and do bunny-hops across the room, we get super-duper competitive over such a 'nerdy' game like Scrabble, or when I post random stories about you on my blog.

Oh, and there will definitely be those times when you hate us, too. You will not have a cell phone until you are of legal age to buy one yourself, and if you do own one, it will only call mom and dad. We will only allow you to watch tv or play video games for a set amount of time each day, like only an hour or two, and then we will shove your butt outside to do something more active. You will go to church with us everyday that we go, including days other than Sunday. And the worst thing of all that a teenager hears, is that you will definitely have chores. And lots of them!

But, through all of the good, weird, and ugly, Mr. M and I hope that we raise you to be an intelligent, goal-seeking, independent individual with awesome morals and empathy towards others. We hope you reflect the best attributes of ourselves in your own personality and are a bright spot in the life of every person you encounter.

We love you and can't wait to meet you.

The most awesome parents in the world.



4 comments:

  1. I like the part about the parents losing it and doing embarrassing stuff...I can't wait for that part of raising teens because my husband and I are pretty wacky. Sounds like you will make super loving parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet! I couldn't agree more about the cell phone and TV! I am guessing you don't have said child yet... we don't either and I often wonder "what is this kid going to think of me?!" Happy Thursday :)

    -Amy (via Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, we do not have said child yet, but Mr. M and I both find ourselves
    thinking the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! We definitely have those times where we will stop and ask ourselves,
    "What would our kids think of us right now?". We'd probably end up with a
    roll of the eyes and an proclamation of, "My parents are weird".

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin