March 10, 2011

Sentimental Sing-A-Long

I really enjoy Mama Kat's weekly writing prompts. I am not one to think outside of the box or, rather, outside of my own comfort zone. So, she definitely keeps me on my toes. One of this week's writing prompts involved a song of significance. And, considering that it is getting close to Mr. M's and my 3-year wedding anniversary, what better song to choose than our first dance song?

When I was in the midst of wedding planning and fraying each and every nerve I had, I would continually obsess over what would be our first dance song. It had to have some serious significance. The one I really wanted was not a good dance song, so I went with another one with just as equal significance.

Bless the Broken Road - I like the one by Selah

I set out on a narrow way, many years ago
Hoping I would find true love, along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
And led me straight to you

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to take the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You were there, you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

Because I could not use my first choice of song as our first dance song, I managed to incorporate it into my processional music for our wedding ceremony. It was a bit non-conventional in a conventional church, but I think it worked out great.

Everything - by Lifehouse

Find me here,
And speak to me.
I want to feel you,
I need to hear you.
You are the light,
That's leading me,
To the place,
Where I find peace again.

You are the strength,
That keeps me walking.
You are the hope,
That keeps me trusting.
You are the light
To my soul.
You are my purpose,
You're everything.

How can I stand here with you,
And not be moved by you?
Would you tell me,
How could it be,
Any better than this?

And so on and so forth. There is a lot more to the song, but that is as much as I used in our procession, with that last stanza timed to where I was already standing with Mr. M when it started. It makes me fell all mushy and gushy every time I think about it!

You know, it's those little personal things that you add to your wedding that are the things you will never forget and make it feel so much more special. So many people get sucked into the trap of trying to please everybody else that they forget that it is THEIR wedding. Mr. M and I made our wedding our own, and maybe we are biased, but we believe ours was one of the best weddings we have been to.





3 comments:

  1. Great song choices! I totally agree with you about making your wedding your own. Its one of the best days of your life so it should be yours.

    Visiting from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless the broken road is a great song. I agree about making your wedding special to you. Mine was small and that is how I wanted it despite pressure from other people to make it bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jessica and Amy! And Im glad you used songs you had a special love for! Visiting from mamakat's linkup

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin