July 6, 2011

Anthracite Heritage Festival - Part One

This is a rather belated post, but I had such a great time and had some great photos to share, so here is the post about some highlights of my Memorial Day weekend in all of its glory.

Mr. M and I spent our Memorial Day weekend in Pennsylvania with my family. It had been a while since we had seen them, so it was nice to have the long weekend to enjoy with them. Most of the weekend for Mr. M was a work weekend, as he helped my dad fix the front porches on the duplex he rents out. While Mr. M and my dad were working, my mom, brother, and I enjoyed relaxing and spending a little time at their town's Anthracite Heritage Festival.

There was a record 115 vendors at the festival along Market St., which is one of the prettier streets in town.
Photobucket
The local newspaper mentioned there would be ethnic food, but I was not surprised that it would only be ethnic to those who were not familiar with the area. For me, it was the usual fare; pierogies, funnel cakes, halushki, kielbasa, and so on. I thought it was rather comical.

One of the highlights of the festival was a train ride on a historic passenger train to a neighboring town and back.
Photobucket
My mom and I sat in the air-conditioned car, but with such a beautiful, cool morning, it actually turned out to be warmer than the non-air-conditioned cars. We enjoyed it, nevertheless. And here we are before embarking. I must put it on record that when it comes to trains, I am a total kid in a candy store. I got so excited when Mr. M and I drove into town and saw the train sitting on the tracks that Mr. M could not get over how silly his wife was acting.
Photobucket
Isn't my mom so pretty?
Here are some photos of the train, both inside and out.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Air-conditioned car. The seats could flip back and forth so you could sit just two together or a group of four facing each other.
Photobucket
Non-air-conditioned car. The luggage racks above the seats were very narrow and are way too small for most today's luggage needs.
Photobucket
And around a curve we go...

I will highlight my favorite part of the festival in another post, the local Masonic temple that was opened up for tours to the public. The architecture was gorgeous! Just you wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin