July 12, 2011

Anthracite Heritage Festival - Part Two

I believe the town my parents live in was founded in the late 1800's. Unfortunately, a lot of the old, original buildings have either been torn down or modified so much that they lack their original charm. I was happy to find out that one of the older buildings downtown, which really has not changed much, holds the local Masonic temple and was opened to the public. I did not know what to expect, but was super excited to see a historic building on the inside.
Photobucket
This was the main staircase in the building. It has no elevator as it was built long before elevators became commonplace. Check out that newel post! It was huge, and roughly the same height as my mom!
Photobucket
This is a view from the third floor looking down toward the lobby. The Masonic temple is located on the third floor and has something to do with three's. I am a little confused by their history and such, and because I really do not know much about it, I will just focus more on the gorgeous architecture.
Photobucket
I could not get over how much heavy woodwork there was in this place! This was probably a coat room/meeting room just before you entered the main temple.

And this is what I saw upon entering the temple. Gorgeous!
Photobucket
Again, you see three's. Three 'candles' in the center, three stairs leading up to each landing, and so on. Upon entering, we were greeted by a lovely man eager to tell us about the Masons. I was just chomping at the bit in hopes of being able to take some pictures and was utterly delighted when he said to feel free to take as many photos as we'd like.

I could not help but try to take photos of as much detail as possible. I hope you enjoy this mini photo tour as much as I enjoyed taking the photos!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Detail of front. Art is of King Solomon. Notice three lights above it.

Photobucket
Gorgeous detail. Check out that Key detail and the gargoyle. According to my brother, who reads heavily into all kinds of things, all of the details in the temple have some sort of meaning.

Photobucket
Corner detail.

Photobucket
View of the rear. My brother is talking to the guy on the right. I was in so much awe of the detail! And that ceiling is gorgeous!

Photobucket
One side of the temple, looking toward the rear.

Photobucket
Insane detail on the light fixtures, too!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Door detail.

Photobucket
Did I mention that I loved the ceiling???

Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin