July 8, 2011

Lovely Clouds

I love me some clouds. I guess being a meteorologist helps me appreciate them even more. They are ever-changing and so completely dynamic. You never know what you will see in the sky. Such was the case one early evening, shortly after a thunderstorm. I noticed the light outside was rather brilliant, so I stepped out my front door to see these beautiful clouds. We already get to see gorgeous sunsets from our front door, but adding clouds like these made me super-duper happy.
Photobucket
You see, these clouds are called mammatus clouds, and are typically found on the trailing edge of a thunderstorm. There are other ways they can form, but they are most commonly seen in association with storms. Ever since becoming a meteorologist, I have so yearned to capture these clouds. Living on the East coast among mountains and such really never afforded me the opportunity to see much of them. So, to have them just outside my front door made me so excited that I quickly grabbed my camera and took as many photos of them that I could. And, I also dragged Mr. M outside to see them, but he obviously did not share in my excitement. He just said something like, "Yeah, cool, they're neat." and walked back into the house.

11 comments:

  1. The framing turned out to be pure luck! I was so intent on just capturing
    the clouds, I really did not think of anything more than that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am glad my camera was nearby so I could capture it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, I love those clouds, they frame the picture perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casey Langen9/26/11, 10:03 AM

    love the trees and the clouds! :)  great edit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!  Nice framing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the framing of those gorgeous clouds!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! Heavenly!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very, very beautiful!  I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda Makiej9/26/11, 10:03 AM

    Beautiful sky here!! The silhouette of the trees is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I did not even realize I captured the silhouette of the leaves
    until I uploaded the photos. I was so focused on clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Courtney Noffsinger9/26/11, 10:03 AM

    Beautiful colors!  Love the silhouette of the leaves against the sky.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin