December 13, 2011

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Christmas decorations are officially out at our house! Mr. M and I decorated our tree and set out a few other small Christmas decorations. Originally, we were not even going to put up our tree since we wouldn't be home much to enjoy the decor. But, the Christmas spirit got the best of me. Plus, I had bought a tree topper and some new ornaments at Target's after-Christmas sale last year, so I was itching to add them to what we already had.

I love keeping our Christmas tree somewhat whimsical. Besides the true meaning of Christmas, it is also all about awe and wonder and always feels so magical. I have to reflect that as best I can with our tree! Besides, when I was a little girl, my aunt would send my brother and me a new Christmas ornament every year. Over time, we had our own little collection that we could use when we left home. There is no way I could never use those ornaments, as they all mean a little something to me.

Following is a photo of our tree and a tour around it showing some of my favorite ornaments. I hope you enjoy!

Photobucket
Our purdy tree.
Photobucket
The angel lounging on the moon was my very first Christmas ornament. And the cuckoo clock was always one of my favorites. 
Photobucket
This is a new favorite. Very new. I bought it from Crate and Barrel just a few weeks ago. I love how the whale has 'water' shooting from his spout.
Photobucket
Do you remember the old woman that lived in a shoe? She had so many children, she didn't know what to do! Do you see the one climbing while hanging on to a shoelace?
Photobucket
I love little woodland friends. This was bought last year during Target's after-Christmas sale.
Photobucket
A weather bird! I love birds and my degree is in meteorology, so how suitable is it to have this little guy? He's a cutie in his little rainhat!
Photobucket
Mr. M bought this ornament for me for our first Christmas together. It lights up and plays 'Once Upon A Dream'. How fitting since Mr. M is my 'Prince Charming'!
Photobucket
Mr. M builds stuff, so I had to get him a Bob the Builder ornament one year.
Photobucket
This ornament dates back to sometime in the 1980's. It's like my own personal igloo dollhouse!

Every year I have to set up my little Nativity scene. This year it resides on our coffee table. I bought the candleholder in the background for a mere 2 dollars at this crazy sale they had in NC that I went to with my mother-in-law. It is big enough to hold a full-size Yankee Candle, but versatile enough to hold smaller candles, too. And I can take the snowflake insert out and just use the frosted glass for non-Christmas times.
Photobucket

I received this little guy one year during high school. I group of us from the choir visited a home for those with physical and mental disabilities and sang Christmas carols for everybody. My own special 'Elf on a Shelf' was made by one of the residents. I treasure him bunches!

Photobucket

Do you have any special Christmas decorations that you hold near and dear to your heart? I would love to hear about them!

1 comment:

  1. I love how it is a little whimsical. So many fun ornaments:) My husband and I both have ornaments from our childhood added with some new bulb ornaments so our tree is totally hodge podge. I never get tired of looking at it:)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin